Upgrading to a newer version of portage

I did a fresh install of Calculate Linux and would like to install some programs. Therefore I want to do an update this system. But receive the following message. For my understanding I have to upgrade portage first. How can I do that?

code
The current version of portage supports EAPI ‘7’. You must upgrade to a
newer version of portage before EAPI masked packages can be installed.
(dependency required by “www-client/chromium-95.0.4638.32::gentoo” [ebuild])
(dependency required by “@auto_slot_operator_replace_installed” [argument])
For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

Many thanks for an answer

Hi Squirrel,
The easiest solution would be to download and install the fresh night ISO image of the distribution. The problem is that the Calculate Linux 21 package manager does not support EAPI 8. In the next version of the distribution we plan to fix this so that you can easily update the system after a long time has passed.

1 Like

Hi Lautre,

many thanks for your info. Well noted. I will think about it what to do. Is it possible to switch from a nightly build to a stable release after the problem is solved? By the way I like Calculate Linux.

The release is just a very well tested nightly build. Conversely, an overnight build is a release with all the updates )

Try updating this way:

cl-update -s
emerge -1O python:3.9
emerge -1O glibc
emerge -1O portage
cl-update

Same problem for me. I’ve made a fresh CDS ISO download and install and faced with this problem.

This solves a problem. I guess it should be posted somewhere in documentation about updates.