stop a package being update with the rest of the updates

i have updates available and one of the packages in the update is calculate-sources-4.14.9 and i dont want this kernel installed on my system as i cant boot on it. is there a way i can mask the package or exclude it from the updates?

thanks.

I am noob to Calculate myself, but when I wanted to block a package from being upgraded to newer version I edited existing “custom” file in etc/portage/package.mask and added a line containing package version number that you want to freeze preceded with “>” (greater than).

So you could add this for example if you wanted to keep it to version 4.9.73

“>sys-kernel/calculate-sources-4.9.73 ~amd64” - without quotes

I don’t know how this particular mask will affect other updates.

You can dump all your masked packages in one file or create separate file for each package, as I understand it.

thanks for the info appreciate it.

Hi Brad,
I hope now I have no problems with a new kernel. Try to unmask and boot with the new kernel.

ow excellent its been fixed? once gentoo finished installing on Virtualbox will unmask and install the 4.14.9 kernel.

Fingers Crossed :smiley:

Alexander Tratsevskiy wrote:

Hi Brad,
I hope now I have no problems with a new kernel. Try to unmask and boot with the new kernel.

NOPE… still the same freezes up just as it boots after grub

Hi Brad,
I think you mentioned you have an AMD GPU?
Just a suggestion from past experience. If you have Intel graphics onboard, try disabling it in BIOS. In my BIOS it’s called Intel Processor Graphics, it may have different name in others.

thanks for the advice polaca but no dont have intel graphics got the ASROCK all in one motherboard using the built in graphics Integrated AMD Radeon Graphics R7 Series for some reason selecting the radeon option with graphics doesnt work have to use the amdgpu option with graphics drivers :confused: