[SOLVED] speed up CLD

is it possible to change the global USE in CLD? if yes, how? (it is not in make.conf file.)
it seems most of the flags are used in USE. if i remove the unnecessary flags and recompile the system (emerge --update --deep --newuse world),will it increase the speed of the system?

Use instruction System Optimization for more information.

sounds good!!
what about use flags. now many flags are used but many of them can be removed. will it speed up the system? how can i optimize the use flags? there is nothing in /etc/make.conf but the emerge --info show the use flags which are:
USE=“3dnow X a52 aac aalib acl acpi alsa amd64 audiofile avi bash-completion berkdb bittorrent bluetooth bzip2 cairo cddb cdparanoia cdr chm clamav cli cpudetection cracklib crypt css cups cxx dbus djvu dri dv dvd dvdr dvdread ebook encode exif fbcon ffmpeg flac flash foomaticdb fortran ftp gd gdbm ggi gif gphoto2 gpm gtk hal iconv id3tag ieee1394 imagemagick ipv6 irc jabber jingle jpeg jpeg2k kde ldap libcaca libwww lirc logrotate lzo mad matroska mbox mikmod mmx mmxext mng modules mp3 mpeg mplayer mudflap multilib musepack mysql nas ncurses nfs nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin nvidia ogg oggvorbis openal opencore-amr openexr opengl openmp oscar pam pcre pdf perl png portaudio pppd python qt3support qt4 quicktime raw rdesktop readline reflection samba scanner sdl semantic-desktop session slang smp speex spell spl srt sse sse2 sse3 sse4.1 sse4.2 sse4a sse5 ssl ssse3 svg sysfs tcpd tga theora tiff truetype unicode usb userlocales v4l v4l2 vcd vhosts vorbis webkit wmf wxwindows x264 xanim xcomposite xine xinerama xorg xpm xv xvid xvmc yahoo zlib” ALSA_CARDS=“ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci”
another question: is it possible to rebuild the system (by emerge -e world/system) and update the system too. will “emerge --update --deep --newuse world” the same as “emerge -e world”?

You can change the profile of CLD to the original Gentoo (eselect profile list / eselect profile set NUM). You can selectively turn off the USE flags, using the /etc/make.conf. You can put the CLS, in which a set of flags is almost unchanged, and install the necessary software suite.

There are many options. The main thing is that the system can be quickly reinstall, if you have a backup partition.

How can i find the difference between CLD and original gentoo profile (or any other 2 profiles)?

Go to the directory on the link make.profile:

cd /etc/make.profile

Look at all the path from “parent” file

cat parent

Then look package.keywords, package.mask, package.unmask files and directories.

thanks Alexander, i think the CLD profile is good for me.
i want to optimize my system regarding the System Optimization link you posted. regarding http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags/AMD#Athlon_64_X2 for my system (AMD#Athlon_64_X2) i should have these lines in make.conf:
_CHOST=“x86_64-pc-linux-gnu”
CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"_
but if i follow the instruction of CLD i will have:
_CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"_
which one is better?
another question is that, without installing any package (only updated the CLD) it is more that 8GB on my HD. i think many of this space is occupied by temp files. how can i remove the temp files and save the disk space.
Regards

-march=native” better, as in this case, gcc itself determines the type of your processor.

To update the download package in the directory /usr/calculate/share/distfiles/
If you want to delete only the old source code packages are missing from the portages, use the command eclean-dist