[SOLVED] Slow resume after sleep

Hi. I’m on the latest CLD release and I’m experiencing some problems with sleep/resume.

One at a time: first of all, the resume time is too long, around 10 s. In any other distribution I’ve installed in this same hardware (Toshiba Z830, Intel Sandy Bridge chipset, SSD), resume after suspend is almost instantaneous, less than 1 s.

After system installation, I haven’t installed/removed any software. So, I have the out of the box setup. Does anybody have a clue about why CLD may be taking so long in resuming? What’s your experience?

Thanks.

Hi again :slight_smile:
What’s the kernel you’re on? Is is a stable CLD version or a stage version that you are using?

Please have a look at this thread

Looks like this problem’s been fixed in calculate-sources-3.6.6 and calculate-sources-3.6.7

Thanks Elena. I’m on CLD 12.0.3 stable, with kernel 3.5.3. calculate-sources are the kernel sources? If so, I could try upgrading.

The thread you provide describes the same symptoms I experience in my laptop, with the only difference that I don’t need to wait for minutes, but “only” for 10-15 seconds. However, I also experience the really odd issue concerning how long has the laptop been sleeping. If it only slept for a couple of minutes, resume takes around 12 secs, but works; if it slept for half an hour or more, then resume never takes place and the laptop totally freezes.

Curiously enough, the pm-suspend.log reports that the whole awake process takes only one second, and shows no errors:

Thu Nov 29 01:33:08 UTC 2012:* Awake*.
Thu Nov 29 01:33:08 UTC 2012: Running hooks for resume
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video resume suspend:
/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler resume suspend:
/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led resume suspend:
/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq resume suspend:
/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock resume suspend:
/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules resume suspend:
Reloaded unloaded modules.
/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth resume suspend:
/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth resume suspend: success.
Running hook /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_wakeup resume suspend:
/etc/pm/sleep.d/20_wakeup: line 8: /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness: No such file or directory
/etc/pm/sleep.d/20_wakeup resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/01grub resume suspend:
/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/01grub resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave resume suspend:
Blacklisting 01grub.
Blacklisting 90clock.
/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging resume suspend:
/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging resume suspend: success.
Thu Nov 29 01:33:09 UTC 2012: Finished.

Also, I’ve tried booting the kernel with and without the kernel variable “acpi_backlight=vendor”, but it makes no difference.

Yes, those are the kernel sources, and updating your system could actually help. The symptoms you’re describing are precisely the same I experienced, and while on the same kernel as you; I had to switch to ck-sources before v3.6.6 was released. And now, with the latest calculate-sources-3.6.7, both my laptop and desktop go to sleep and wake up just perfect.

Great! Updating the kernel to 3.6.7 worked like a charm. Now resume after suspend is fast: one or two seconds.

Thanks for your help!