[solved]Grub2 Splash screen

I removed the grub splash screen and it shows me on boot: grub default theme failed to load: daemon error: splash screen failed to start error code 256.
How can we fix this?

You’ve got to fix the grub configuration file I guess, as it still expects the splash while you don’t want it to.

Elena Gavrilova wrote:

You’ve got to fix the grub configuration file I guess, as it still expects the splash while you don’t want it to.

So i need to do
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
and it’s ok?

Kodo Pithari wrote:

Elena Gavrilova wrote:

So i need to do
and it’s ok?
No, i did
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
and it still shows me the error.

No, just remove splash from the description of the menu entry.

Elena Gavrilova wrote:

No, just remove splash from the description of the menu entry.

But there isn’t any splash on the menu entry.
See: http://pastebin.calculate-linux.org/en/show/5471

True enough!

At a time, I actually run my system without splash, but when trying to remember what I did I do not remember doing anything special…

Is cl-setup-boot of no use as well?

Elena Gavrilova wrote:

True enough!

At a time, I actually run my system without splash, but when trying to remember what I did I do not remember doing anything special…

Is cl-setup-boot of no use as well?

It show me this which i don’t want to do:
http://bpaste.net/show/98152/

Right, you don’t need this.
Try adding splash=verbose to the line (instead of the default splash=silent), if I remember right it must do the trick.

Elena Gavrilova wrote:

Right, you don’t need this.
Try adding splash=verbose to the line (instead of the default splash=silent), if I remember right it must do the trick.

Now it the error is vanished, but with the verbose it shows a pink wallpaper which says “Linux from the source…”. How can i remove this ?

Once I had this, I just removed the picture itself :smiley:

But that’s not the true way, I guess.

Elena Gavrilova wrote:

Once I had this, I just removed the picture itself :smiley:

But that’s not the true way, I guess.

I can’t find it :frowning:

Hi,

What are the result of

grep -E -v '(#|^$)' /etc/default/grub

This command show you the /etc/deault/grub file without empty lines and comments (# at the begenning)

For me :

grep -E -v '(#|^$)' grub 
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Calculate Linux Desktop KDE"                                                                                                                                                                     
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved                                                                                                                                                                                                 
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0                                                                                                                                                                                              
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true                                                                                                                                                                                     
GRUB_TIMEOUT=2                                                                                                                                                                                                     
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""                                                                                                                                                                                      
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="video=uvesafb:ywrap,1920x1080-32,mtrr:3,splash=silent,theme:calculate real_resume=UUID=6fc09d42-2227-4f9e-90c0-c8b1cb5aeb58 elevator=cfq doscsi calculate=video:intel console=tty1 udev quiet" 
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true                                                                                                                                                                                         
GRUB_GFXMODE="1024x768"                                                                                                                                                                                            
GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/grub/grub-calculate.png"                                                                                                                                                                    
GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="white/black" 
GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="magenta/black"

Check all lines and say us if there are differences.

Adrien D wrote:

Hi,

What are the result of

[…]

This command show you the /etc/deault/grub file without empty lines and comments (# at the begenning)

For me :

[…]

Check all lines and say us if there are differences.

sudo grep -E -v ‘(#|^$)’ /etc/default/grub
GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT=black/black
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true
GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL=“white/black”
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=“Calculate Linux Desktop KDE”
GRUB_TIMEOUT=2
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_GFXMODE=“1024x768”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=‘video=uvesafb:ywrap,1024x768-32,mtrr:3,=silent,theme:calculate tuxonice tuxonice_resume=/dev/dm-0 real_resume=/dev/dm-0 elevator=bfq doscsi dolvm calculate=video:nvidia console=tty1 udev quiet’

No background and other colours & res…

Hi,

On the line :

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX='video=uvesafb:ywrap,1024x768-32,mtrr:3,=silent,theme:calculate tuxonice tuxonice_resume=/dev/dm-0 real_resume=/dev/dm-0 elevator=bfq doscsi dolvm calculate=video:nvidia console=tty1 udev quiet'

It’s written [silent]{style=“text-align:center;”} it should be write splash=silent

Moreover, you dont have the line GRUB_BACKGROUND

Uncomment it into the /etc/default/grub file, and check if the .PNG image exists :

GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/grub/grub-calculate.png"                                   

And make :

Thanks

Adrien D wrote:

Hi,

On the line :

[…]

It’s written [silent]{style=“text-align:center;”} it should be write splash=silent

Moreover, you dont have the line GRUB_BACKGROUND

Uncomment it into the /etc/default/grub file, and check if the .PNG image exists :

[…]
And make :

[…]
Thanks

Well i say that i want to change the background during the boot… I did this and changed the background (splash screen) but it didn’t work.

Thank you Adrien, grub-calculate.png it is.

But but, speaking about the “silent/verbose” string… that’s what the guys here did, and it worked just fine, I’ve just reread that post.

Ok, i changed the theme and now it works fine.
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fbsplash