[solved] emerge failed - update failed

Sigh, just when I thought Calculate / Gentoo would be worth the learning, I get messages like that for cl-update:

* Emerge failed
* Update failed

I could copy the 1 mile messages from before but I don’t think it would help anyone.

I did unmask “emerge --autounmask-write =sys-libs/ncurses-6.0-r1” to get Htop installed but that is the only one I did.

And I installed Thunderbird-bin.

Hi Dirk,

Gentoo is certainly worth the learning and Calculate Linux is worth persisting with! I have been using Calculate for over a year and this is the first time the update has failed (in contrast with Arch Linux!). I have had a few minor issues with individual packages and the developers are usually very quick to solve problems (again in contrast with Arch!)

I am having the same problem as you with cl-update and I have added the following to help the developers with the diagnosis:

1) First I wonder whether you are doing a fresh install? In the last couple of days I have tried fresh installs of CL XFCE and CL LXQt and once installed, the first update fails. I have posted the abbreviated message trails below.

2) On my previous CL machine the cl-update command linked me to the yandex update server but I note that it now links me to http://miroir.linuxtricks.fr/calculate - I wonder whether this mirror is fully synchronised? Sadly I overwrote this disk so I cannot check whether this up-to-date machine might have updated correctly.

I tried changing the update server in /etc/portage/make.conf/binhost but cl-update changed it back the next time I used it. How do you manually change the update server???

3) The abbreviated cl-update messages are below, the first in the XFCE version and the second from LXQt. I can post the whole outputs if required:

# cl-update
Repositories synchronization
 * Syncing the Distros repository ...                                                                         [ ok ]
 * Syncing the Calculate repository ...                                                                       [ ok ]
 * Syncing the Gentoo repository ...                                                                          [ ok ]
 * Synchronization finished
System configuration
 * Fixing the settings ...                                                                                    [ ok ]
 * Updating configuration files ...                                                                           [ ok ]
 * Update server http://miroir.linuxtricks.fr/calculate
Checking for updates
 * Calculating dependencies ...     
[blocks b      ] <app-eselect/eselect-python-20160206 ("<app-eselect/eselect-python-20160206" is blocking dev-lang/python-exec-2.4.4)
[blocks b      ] <dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1.50.0 ("<dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1.50.0" is blocking dev-libs/gobject-introspection-common-1.50.0)
[blocks b      ] <=sys-devel/clang-3.9.1-r99 ("<=sys-devel/clang-3.9.1-r99" is blocking sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1)
[blocks b      ] <x11-libs/gtk+-3.22.2:3 ("<x11-libs/gtk+-3.22.2:3" is blocking dev-util/gtk-update-icon-cache-3.22.2)
[blocks b      ] <dev-perl/XML-SAX-0.990.0 ("<dev-perl/XML-SAX-0.990.0" is blocking dev-perl/XML-SAX-Base-1.80.0-r1)
[blocks b      ] <perl-core/Encode-2.800.100_rc ("<perl-core/Encode-2.800.100_rc" is blocking virtual/perl-Encode-2.800.100_rc)
[blocks b      ] <sys-apps/openrc-0.23 ("<sys-apps/openrc-0.23" is blocking sys-apps/opentmpfiles-0.1.3)
[blocks b      ] sys-power/upower ("sys-power/upower" is blocking sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23-r2)
[blocks B      ] <sys-libs/ncurses-6:0 ("<sys-libs/ncurses-6:0" is blocking sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r101)
 * 439 packages will be installed, 974077 KiB will be downloaded
NOTE: Use the '--verbose-conflicts' option to display parents omitted above

It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
impossible to satisfy simultaneously.  If such a conflict exists in
the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can
not be installed simultaneously. You may want to try a larger value of
the --backtrack option, such as --backtrack=30, in order to see if
that will solve this conflict automatically.

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r101:5/5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r7:=[unicode?] (>=sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r7:=[unicode]) required by (sys-process/procps-3.3.12:0/5::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r7:5/5=[unicode] required by (sys-process/procps-3.3.12:0/5::gentoo, installed)

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Working/Portage#Blocked_packages

!!! Invalid news item: /usr/portage/metadata/news/2017-04-10-split-and-slotted-wine/2017-04-10-split-and-slotted-wine.en.txt
!!!   line 6: News-Item-Format: 2.0

* Use eselect news read to view new items.
 * Emerge failed
 * Update failed

And with LXQt:

# cl-update
Repositories synchronization
 * Syncing the Distros repository ...                                                                                                    [ ok ]
 * Syncing the Calculate repository ...                                                                                                  [ ok ]
 * Syncing the Gentoo repository ...                                                                                                     [ ok ]
 * Synchronization finished
System configuration
 * Fixing the settings ...                                                                                                               [ ok ]
 * Updating configuration files ...                                                                                                      [ ok ]
 * Update server http://miroir.linuxtricks.fr/calculate
Checking for updates
 * Calculating dependencies ...        
[blocks b      ] <app-eselect/eselect-python-20160206 ("<app-eselect/eselect-python-20160206" is blocking dev-lang/python-exec-2.4.4)
[blocks b      ] <dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1.50.0 ("<dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1.50.0" is blocking dev-libs/gobject-introspection-common-1.50.0) 
[blocks b      ] <=sys-devel/clang-3.9.1-r99 ("<=sys-devel/clang-3.9.1-r99" is blocking sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1)
[blocks b      ] <x11-libs/gtk+-3.22.2:3 ("<x11-libs/gtk+-3.22.2:3" is blocking dev-util/gtk-update-icon-cache-3.22.2)
[blocks b      ] <sys-apps/openrc-0.23 ("<sys-apps/openrc-0.23" is blocking sys-apps/opentmpfiles-0.1.3)
[blocks b      ] <perl-core/Encode-2.800.100_rc ("<perl-core/Encode-2.800.100_rc" is blocking virtual/perl-Encode-2.800.100_rc)
[blocks b      ] <sys-apps/calculate-utils-3.5.2.6 ("<sys-apps/calculate-utils-3.5.2.6" is blocking media-gfx/splash-themes-calculate-17-r2)
[blocks b      ] <sys-apps/calculate-utils-3.5.2.6 ("<sys-apps/calculate-utils-3.5.2.6" is blocking media-gfx/calculate-wallpapers-17-r1, media-gfx/grub-splashes-calculate-17-r4, media-gfx/dm-themes-calculate-17-r2, media-gfx/gfxboot-themes-calculate-17-r1)                             
[blocks b      ] sys-power/upower ("sys-power/upower" is blocking sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23-r2)
[binary     U  ] x11-misc/light-locker-1.4.0-r3::calculate [1.4.0_rc73::calculate] USE="X consolekit nls upower -static-libs (-systemd)" 92 KiB
[blocks B      ] <sys-libs/ncurses-6:0 ("<sys-libs/ncurses-6:0" is blocking sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r101)
 * 440 packages will be installed, 1033298 KiB will be downloaded
For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r101:5/5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r7:=[unicode?] (>=sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r7:=[unicode]) required by (sys-process/procps-3.3.12:0/5::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r7:5/5=[unicode] required by (sys-process/procps-3.3.12:0/5::gentoo, installed)

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Working/Portage#Blocked_packages

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "x11-base/xorg-server:0/1.18.4=" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:                                                                 
- x11-base/xorg-server-1.18.4::gentoo (masked by: )

(dependency required by "x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa-2.3.4::gentoo" [installed])
(dependency required by "x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.19::gentoo" [binary])
(dependency required by "x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.2::gentoo" [binary])
(dependency required by "x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.14::gentoo" [binary])
For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

!!! Invalid news item: /usr/portage/metadata/news/2017-04-10-split-and-slotted-wine/2017-04-10-split-and-slotted-wine.en.txt
!!!   line 6: News-Item-Format: 2.0

* Use eselect news read to view new items.
 * Emerge failed
 * Update failed

Alexander - over to you!

Cheers, Bill

Thank you for your reply Bill, I kind of shot my calculate install and will reinstall it tomorrow afternoon, will see what I get then :wink:

OK, fresh install and update went fine. Will open another post about GPARTED not starting.