Problem with N Curses and Chromium blocking update

This is a Pretty Vanilla install of XFCE 17 from about Dec / January I tried a month Back to do CL-Update but it Said emerge failed and update failed

I have just tried again and got the same seems it has a problem with N curses and chromium + a plugin “UBlock” which came standard

[blocks B      ] <www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins-57 ("<www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins-57" is blocking www-client/chromium-57.0.2987.133)
[blocks B      ] <sys-libs/ncurses-6:0 ("<sys-libs/ncurses-6:0" is blocking sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r101)
 * 383 packages will be installed, 803594 KiB will be downloaded
not be installed simultaneously. You may want to try a larger value of
the --backtrack option, such as --backtrack=30, in order to see if
that will solve this conflict automatically.

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(www-client/chromium-57.0.2987.133:0/0::gentoo, binary scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    www-client/chromium required by (www-plugins/chrome-ublock-0.9.8.2:0/0::calculate, installed)
    www-client/chromium required by @selected

(sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r101:5/5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r7:=[unicode?] (>=sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r7:=[unicode]) required by (sys-process/procps-3.3.12:0/5::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r7:5/5=[unicode] required by (sys-process/procps-3.3.12:0/5::gentoo, installed)

(www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins-45.0.2454.101_p1:stable/stable::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins required by @selected

I read the Gentoo manual which seems to point to a license issue with chromium but The remedy part isn’t an option or it is in a different directory / file

Though my issue seems different and i don’t find any N Curses references…

Could someone kindly point me in the right direction to solve this update problem

Thank you very much

Hi,
Try to update ncurses alone

emerge -1u sys-libs/ncurses

And run again update.

Thank you for your quick reply,
Tried your suggestion wouldn’t update sys-libs/ncurses
got this

emerge -1u sys-libs/ncurses
!!! Invalid news item: /usr/portage/metadata/news/2017-04-10-split-and-slotted-wine/2017-04-10-split-and-slotted-wine.en.txt
!!!   line 6: News-Item-Format: 2.0

* IMPORTANT: 11 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news read to view new items.

Calculating dependencies... done!
[binary     U  ] sys-libs/ncurses-6.0-r1 [5.9-r5] USE="threads%* {-test%}" 
[ebuild     U  ] sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r101 [5.9-r99]
[blocks B      ] <sys-libs/ncurses-6:0 ("<sys-libs/ncurses-6:0" is blocking sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r101)

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

sys-libs/ncurses:0

(sys-libs/ncurses-6.0-r1:0/6::gentoo, binary scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    sys-libs/ncurses (Argument)

(sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r5:0/5::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    sys-libs/ncurses:0/5= required by (dev-lang/ruby-2.1.9:2.1/2.1::gentoo, installed)
                    ^^^^^                                                                                                 
    (and 30 more with the same problem)

NOTE: Use the '--verbose-conflicts' option to display parents omitted above

It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
impossible to satisfy simultaneously.  If such a conflict exists in
the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can

(sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r101:5/5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r7:5/5=[unicode] required by (sys-process/procps-3.3.12:0/5::gentoo, installed)
    sys-libs/ncurses
    sys-libs/ncurses:5/5= required by (net-mail/mailutils-2.99.98-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r7:=[unicode?] (>=sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r7:=[unicode]) required by (sys-process/procps-3.3.12:0/5::gentoo, installed)
    sys-libs/ncurses:= required by (net-mail/mailutils-2.99.98-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)

This is a very Basic vanilla install i updates from the 15 series to the 17 , I have never added anything or changed any settings etc…so why i have these conflicts is a suprise

I also tried to update chromium on its own as that seemed to be an issue with Plug ins etc… had similar issues though with more conflicts

emerge www-client/chromium
!!! Invalid news item: /usr/portage/metadata/news/2017-04-10-split-and-slotted-wine/2017-04-10-split-and-slotted-wine.en.txt
!!!   line 6: News-Item-Format: 2.0

* IMPORTANT: 11 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news read to view new items.

Calculating dependencies... done!
[binary     U  ] dev-libs/icu-58.2 [57.1]
[binary     U  ] media-libs/x265-2.2 [1.8-r3] USE="12bit* (-neon) (-power8)" 
[binary     U  ] media-libs/libwebp-0.5.2 [0.4.2] USE="(-neon)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="avx2%* sse2%* sse4_1%*" 
[binary  N     ] media-libs/libsdl2-2.0.4  USE="X alsa dbus gles joystick opengl pulseaudio sound threads udev video wayland xinerama (-altivec) (-custom-cflags) -fusionsound -haptic -nas -oss -static-libs -tslib -xscreensaver" CPU_FLAGS_X86="3dnow mmx sse sse2" 
[binary     U  ] media-video/ffmpeg-3.2.4 [2.8.6] USE="-chromaprint% -ebur128% -gcrypt% -gmp% -kvazaar% -libilbc% (-mmal) -nvenc% -openh264% -rubberband% -zimg%" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes%*" 
[binary     U  ] www-client/chromium-57.0.2987.133 [55.0.2883.75] USE="system-libvpx%* -component-build% -gconf%" 
[blocks B      ] <www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins-57 ("<www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins-57" is blocking www-client/chromium-57.0.2987.133)

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

media-video/ffmpeg:0

(media-video/ffmpeg-3.2.4:0/55.57.57::gentoo, binary scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=media-video/ffmpeg-3:0/55.57.57= required by (www-client/chromium-57.0.2987.133:0/0::gentoo, binary scheduled for merge)
    ^^                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                  

(media-video/ffmpeg-2.8.6:0/54.56.56::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    media-video/ffmpeg:0/54.56.56= required by (media-plugins/alsa-plugins-1.1.1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^                                                                                                          
    (and 5 more with the same problem)

media-libs/x265:0

(media-libs/x265-2.2:0/102::gentoo, binary scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=media-libs/x265-1.6:0/102=[abi_x86_32(-)] required by (media-video/ffmpeg-3.2.4:0/55.57.57::gentoo, binary scheduled for merge)
                         ^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                         

(media-libs/x265-1.8-r3:0/68::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=media-libs/x265-1.6:0/68=[abi_x86_32(-)] required by (media-video/ffmpeg-2.8.6:0/54.56.56::gentoo, installed)
                         ^^^^^^                                                                                                                        

dev-libs/icu:0

(dev-libs/icu-58.2:0/58.2::gentoo, binary scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    dev-libs/icu:0/58.2= required by (www-client/chromium-57.0.2987.133:0/0::gentoo, binary scheduled for merge)
                ^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                            

(dev-libs/icu-57.1:0/57::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    dev-libs/icu:0/57= required by (media-libs/libvisio-0.1.5:0/0::gentoo, installed)
                ^^^^^^                                                                                                   
    (and 11 more with the same problem)

media-libs/libwebp:0

(media-libs/libwebp-0.5.2:0/6::gentoo, binary scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=media-libs/libwebp-0.4.0:0/6= required by (www-client/chromium-57.0.2987.133:0/0::gentoo, binary scheduled for merge)
                              ^^^^^                                                                                                                            

(media-libs/libwebp-0.4.2:0/5::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    media-libs/libwebp:0/5= required by (net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.4.11-r200:2/2::gentoo, installed)
                      ^^^^^                                                                                                         
    (and 3 more with the same problem)

NOTE: Use the '--verbose-conflicts' option to display parents omitted above

It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
impossible to satisfy simultaneously.  If such a conflict exists in
the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can

(www-client/chromium-57.0.2987.133:0/0::gentoo, binary scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    www-client/chromium required by (www-plugins/chrome-ublock-0.9.8.2:0/0::calculate, installed)
    www-client/chromium
    www-client/chromium required by @selected

(www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins-45.0.2454.101_p1:stable/stable::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins required by @selected

I am sort of lost on this now…I would probably have a better ideas if i had installed something and it had gone wrong…but from a standard install its confused me

thanks for helping obviously i need more !!!