Locale broken on my Calculate system from day one

Hello, I had this problem from day 1 of Calculate use.

Locale is broken, exactly at the profile.env file.

This strings broke everything:

LC_TIME=it_IT.UTF-8LC_MONETARY=it_IT.UTF-8LC_PAPER=it_IT.UTF-8LC_MEASUREMENT=it_IT.UTF-8

Like you could guess my locale is italian.

Here more details:

locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: File o directory non esistente
LANG=it_IT.utf8
LC_CTYPE=“it_IT.utf8”
LC_NUMERIC=POSIX
LC_TIME=it_IT.UTF-8LC_MONETARY=it_IT.UTF-8LC_PAPER=it_IT.UTF-8LC_MEASUREMENT=it_IT.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=“it_IT.utf8”
LC_MONETARY=“it_IT.utf8”
LC_MESSAGES=“it_IT.utf8”
LC_PAPER=“it_IT.utf8”
LC_NAME=“it_IT.utf8”
LC_ADDRESS=“it_IT.utf8”
LC_TELEPHONE=“it_IT.utf8”
LC_MEASUREMENT=“it_IT.utf8”
LC_IDENTIFICATION=“it_IT.utf8”
LC_ALL=

locale -a
C
C.utf8
it_IT.utf8
POSIX

locale.gen
it_IT.UTF-8 UTF-8

locale.gen.clt
it_IT.UTF-8 UTF-8

locale

No errors when I run:

max@calc-x64 /etc $ sudo locale-gen
Password:

• Generating 2 locales (this might take a while) with 2 jobs
  • (2/2) Generating C.UTF-8 … [ ok ]
  • (1/2) Generating it_IT.UTF-8 … [ ok ]
  • Generation complete
  • Adding locales to archive … [ ok ]

If I do operate using calculate console/locale I geit_ITt:

The localization and time options are being configured…

/etc/profile.env riga15:attenzione: setlocale: LC_TIME: impossibile cambiare la configurazione
(it_IT.UTF-8LC_MONETARY=it_IT.UTF-8LC_PAPER=it_IT.UTF-8LC_MEASUREMENT=it_IT.UTF-8): file o directory non esistente
System configured!

What can I do to solve this problem? For now I simply manually edit che offending string in profile.env and login again. Then after any modification, any system update the offending line is there again and I have to start from scratch deleting it.

If I don’t do that, everytime I run a command I do have a string informing me that locale is not properly setup and in Gnome some program refuse to run, like for example Gnome-terminal.

Buonasera, prova a eseguire il comando: cl-setup-locale -l it_IT. Successivamente è necessario riavviare il computer e verificare che l’errore sia stato risolto

Doesn’t work.

max@calc-x64vb ~ $ sudo cl-setup-locale -l it_IT
Password:

• The localization and time options are being configured …
  • /etc/profile.env: riga 15: attenzione: setlocale: LC_TIME: impossibile cambiare la localizzazione (it_IT.UTF-8LC_MONETARY=it_IT.UTF-8LC_PAPER=it_IT.UTF-8LC_MEASUREMENT=it_IT.UTF-8): File o directory non esistente
  • System configured!

PS: I was able to solve the problem configuring Calculate the good old Gentoo localization style and everything was fine from that moment but… when I do use cl-update to update the system, he always try to reconfigure my locale putting this in my case offending line in my profile.env file and so I need to manually editing that file removing:

export LC_TIME=‘it_IT.UTF-8LC_MONETARY=it_IT.UTF-8LC_PAPER=it_IT.UTF-8LC_MEASUREMENT=it_IT.UTF-8’

And everything is fine again.

I have just this Calculate box and I’m not planning to install another one of them (I do have many gentoo boxes and I was evaluating how convenient it was to use third party distribution and using Calculate I found it is very good, but this localization problem).

This issue appeared for me as well recently after an update.
I fiddled with /etc/pam.d/system-auth so that I can use short password. I refused to revert changes when updates suggested to do so and this is what happened after recent update. Localization broke.
Reverting /etc/pam.d/system-auth to original and running cl-setup-locale -l fixed the problem.

Fiddling with system files is fun if you have time to waste :slight_smile:

I didn’t fiddle anything, it just happened from day 1.