Lenovo Legion Pro 5 Gen 8

This laptop is AMD Ryzen 7 7745HX and has BIOS option to use Dynamic Graphics or Discrete Graphics (nVidia GeForce RTX 4070).
I can install Calculate only using Dynamic Graphics which is basically AMDGPU driver. If I select Discrete Graphics in BIOS (nVidia) Calculate will not even start Live CD. It just boots to command prompt. I managed to get to desktop by running cl-core -u root and I was able to run installation but after reboot no desktop again.

For comparison I tried Manjaro, Open Suse and Fedora and they all run and install using nVidia Discrete Graphics without issue.
Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

When running from livecd, select the modesetting driver.

Thank you for suggestion but that didn’t work either.

If you use an Nvidia video card, you need to choose modesetting, since the distribution by default does not have proprietary drivers. For new Nvidia graphics cards, the free nouveau driver does not work.
For fresh AMD graphics cards, you need to choose amdgpu composite or modesetting.
After installation from the console, you can change the driver using the cl-setup-video command.
If you need a proprietary Nvidia driver, you should install it after installing the distro and switch to it with the command I wrote above.

Thanks for trying to help, unfortunately none of that works.
The only way I can get to desktop on live CD is to run cl-core -u root, then startx. Generic VESA driver is loaded.
I can now run installation and it completes without any issues, but on reboot there is no desktop.
At this point my “trick” running cl-core -u does not work. Startx cannot start.

This is with nVidia card.

No problem installing on amd.

Thank you for all your help. I got it working now with modesetting driver.
What was needed to get it working is install with dynamic graphics (amdgpu), then after booting to desktop change video to Framebuffer device (modesetting).
Reboot.
Change to Discrete graphics in BIOS (Nvidia).
Calculate now starts with desktop.

Thanks again!

Edit:
This won’t work unless you update kernel to 6.8.11 before changing video driver.