Calculate Linux Question

Hello Calculate Linux commuinty! I have a few questions about your Os. Well its based off Geento so that means you have to compile everything from source or is it like Sabayon Linux Os were you have the chose to compile but it ships with Binary packages from the Repositories?

Also how frequently are your Updates and how big are they. and how stable is this Os. This Os seems to be on the EXTREME when it comes to bleeding edge so stablity looks like it is out of the question.

Hi Jerry,

Calculate Linux combines the stability, rolling-release model of updating and fresh desktop application. This is achieved by using Gentoo stable branch for the system and selective use of more recent versions of popular graphics applications.

Each distribution has its own set of packages that meet their objectives. If you choose a minimal system - choose Scratch, as a lightweight desktop is the best choice CLDX, if you have a modern computer - try CLD with the desktop KDE.

Each distribution has its own unique repository of binaries compiled with the USE-flags that take into account the characteristics of each system. CLD preferably uses Qt, CLDX mostly built on Gtk.

Binary repository stores only the packages that are included in the distribution. Any other applications you compile from source when. Will also need to compile if you want to change the USE-flags.

Hi Alexander and thank you for responding ( It is me Jerry Oak but I forgot my password and even when I changed it I still couldn’t log in so i just made a new account if you could help me on my account troubles that would be splendid:)

So basically The only Binary packages are the packages that ship with the distro and everything else that I want to install I have to compile from souce because a binary version would not be available even in Calculate Linux’s own repository? For example If I wanted Clementine Music player and assuming it is not shipped with the distro I would have to compile it but if it is included in the distro then even if I uninstalled it the binary package of it would still be in the calculate repository right?

So even in Calculates own repos most of everything you have to compile just like Gentoo? So Calculate doesn,t work like this: Calculate has binary packages in its own repository which I can install but it is also pointed toward Gentoo repository so I can compile from source also. Kind of like Sabayon?

By the way in this Gentoo distro is it okay to edit or change /etc/make.conf.? Or is that a no no in any Gentoo distro?

By the way do you also use Entropy as well as Portage? How else do you get the Binary software that comes with the Calculate back if it is uninstalled?

I know it says Jerry Oak but my Username is different now. Wait do I login with My Username or the name Jerry Oak???

Also by the way are the Binary packages optimized for 64bit like Arch linux? and the Packages that are built from compiling are always optimized for your system even wither it is 32 or 64bit right?

Thank you Kindly

For example If I wanted Clementine Music player and assuming it is not shipped with the distro I would have to compile it but if it is included in the distro then even if I uninstalled it the binary package of it would still be in the calculate repository right?

Yes. And you can use <<-bk>> for <>. This will build and use local binary package.

So even in Calculates own repos most of everything you have to compile just like Gentoo? So Calculate doesn,t work like this: Calculate has binary packages in its own repository which I can install but it is also pointed toward Gentoo repository so I can compile from source also. Kind of like Sabayon?

Not exactly. Sabayon uses Entropy. Calculate uses portage binary packages.

By the way in this Gentoo distro is it okay to edit or change /etc/make.conf.? Or is that a no no in any Gentoo distro?

It is ok.

By the way do you also use Entropy as well as Portage? How else do you get the Binary software that comes with the Calculate back if it is uninstalled?

Calculate don’t use Entropy. This is emerge(portage) feature.