Released on December 13, 2012
We are happy to announce the release of the first Calculate Linux 13 beta version.
As ever, you are welcome to choose between Calculate Linux Desktop featuring either KDE (CLD), GNOME (CLDG) or XFCE (CLDX), Calculate Directory Server (CDS) for server solutions, Calculate Media Center (CMC) should you need any and, last but not least, scratch versions for those preferring minimal installations: Calculate Linux Scratch (CLS) and Calculate Scratch Server (CSS).
- Meta-packages are no longer used to manage default dependencies.
- Each CL edition is now featuring its own appearance theme.
- Portage files will be unpacked when booting for the first time.
- Calculate Utilities were updated to 3.1 beta 2.
- New features added for Calculate Console:
- configuring user sessions;
- changing user passwords;
- joining host to a Calculate Directory Server domain;
- viewing and editing variables’ values for Calculate Utilities;
- world update.
- New configuration events were added:
- Portage update;
- package removal.
- Meet a new tool,
calculate-update: for the time being, it only handles the
worldfile, but will be able to do much more soon.
- More functionality for configuration templates.
- Calculate Linux Desktop KDE:
- KDE was updated to 4.9.4.
- Calculate Linux Desktop GNOME:
- GNOME was updated to 3.4;
- AxeMenu replaced the standard menu;
- the Parcellite clipboard will be used from now on.
- Calculate Linux Desktop XFCE:
- a modified Adwaita theme is now used as the default one;
- Elementary comes as the default icon theme;
- the Geany IDE was added;
- we switched to SMplayer as the default video player;
- Claws-Mail now comes with the Address Keeper plugin for address auto-completion.
- All dictionary packages were removed, for a slimmer distribution.
- Calculate Directory Server:
- now able to run Jabber services with StartTLS;
- SMTP authentication will be added in the final release.
Kernel and software
CDS (Directory Server):
- Bind 9.9.1, Kernel 3.6.7, OpenLDAP 2.4.30, Postfix 2.9.4, ProFTPD 1.3.4a, Samba 3.5.15
- i686 - 634 M, x86_64 - 658 M
CLD (KDE desktop):
- KDE 4.9.4, Amarok 2.6.0, digiKam 2.9.0, Chromium 23.0.1271.95, Kernel 3.6.7, LibreOffice 22.214.171.124
- i686 - 1.97 G, x86_64 - 2.17 G
CLDG (GNOME desktop):
- Gnome 3.4, Gimp 2.8.0, Chromium 23.0.1271.95, Kernel 3.6.7, LibreOffice 126.96.36.199
- i686 - 1.51 G, x86_64 - 1.71 G
CLDX (XFCE desktop):
- XFCE 4.10, Gimp 2.8.0, Chromium 23.0.1271.95, Kernel 3.6.7, LibreOffice 188.8.131.52
- i686 - 1.38 G, x86_64 - 1.57 G
CMC (Media Center):
- XBMC 11.0, Kernel 3.6.7, Xorg-server 1.13.0
- i686 - 931 M, x86_64 - 1.08 G
CLS (Linux Scratch):
- Openbox 3.5.0, Kernel 3.6.7, Xorg-server 1.13.0
- i686 - 645 M, x86_64 - 667 M
CSS (Scratch Server):
- Kernel 3.6.7
- i686 - 368 M, x86_64 - 384 M
- Visit our Download page: http://www.calculate-linux.org/main/en/download
- Read our System Update guide: http://www.calculate-linux.org/main/en/system_update_guide