Auto login on XFCE4

latest upgrade on xfce4 and remove “XDM” from rc-update, and change to display-manager, auto login not working on 3 systems. only starts with “startx”, what is wrong?
thanks
ferdi
:wink:

first of all: display-manager is currently masked as unstable package. both of xdm aand display-manager currently works with lightdm/sddm/somethingelsedm which has configured by calculate-utils. so currently there is no relation to autologin configured by utils.

secondary: installation of display-manager-init package requies to resolve some blocks. may be this is a root of problem)

display-manager is a new option. it’s better to wait some time, when upstream release became to us.

currently I have cldx with displaymanager autologged in into xfce.

steps:

1. install cldx
  2. cl-update
  3. cl-setup -A guest
  4. emerge =sys-apps/sysvinit-2.98-r1 =x11-apps/xinit-1.4.1-r1 =x11-base/xorg-server-1.20.10-r3 (you need to run it twice with dispatch-conf between them)
  5. reboot

It looks working for me.

strange thing is that file /etc/init.d/xdm file overwrites by utils, but it should not be started (cause you should disable it via rc-update del xdm default, as it suggested in emerge output)

Hello thank U for quick answer,

This morning I upgraded to “calculate 5.10.20-calculate”, emerged module, nvidia-drivers, xorg-server, xorg-drivers, xorg-meta, x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev, x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa.
And now it’s all ok :wink:
at least on one system
The other two systems I will try your recommands
thanks

edit;

had to change in /etc/conf.d/display-manager/ to “lightdm”
and it auto-login starts
:wink:
ferdi