AMD Ryzen Laptop - X server failed during boot time

Hi folks,
I have T14 with AMD 4650. Trying to boot latest live iso build, which switch to text console. When I try to run startx I receive x server fatal errors. I try to add “noapic” to kernel cmd line but this wont help either.
Do you have suggestions how to solve this?

EDIT:
I’ve also updated bios from 1.05 to the current version 1.30. without any impact to the issue.

You checked the ISO once written on the stick and its fine?

of course I did, besides this live USB I’ve used in multiple previous installations, but on Intel…

Is this the ‘nightly’ ISO you’re using? If not, try that one. I had some graphic issues as well on my Ryzen 4500U laptop.

1 Like

Thanks angelus, I always used releases and never tried nightly builds :slight_smile:
Indeed last nightly build worked fine!
Again thanks for suggestion. Great forum support!

1 Like

Glad that it’s working! You could have made it work with ‘release’ as well by manually updating the kernel and continue from there. But I usually use the ‘nightlies’ as they also save you the amount of initial upgrades :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, I know that this is a quite old thread, but I have a similar situation. I downloaded the cinnamon release iso and I boot from iso via grub entry. The boot proccess seems that is fine until to start X. Then I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor. I can switch ttys and I have access to root conslole. So, how can I update the kernel and boot to cinnamon? I never used calculate linux and I have tried gentoo in the past for a sort time but I’m not familiar with the commands needed for install/update etc.
UPDATE:
I had the same problem with the nightly iso. I managed to solve it though with the option:
calculate=video:amdgpu
in kernel parameters.

1 Like

hi dancaer69,
I have similar issue on latest T14 gen4 with AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U, where I cannot boot to the latest ISO to the GUI. In my case I have already installed CLD on older 4650U CPU. My solution was to upgrade the kernel to latest version (or at least above the 5.15.88). Now I’m running kernel 6.12 which solves more issues on the latest AMD chips.
However I cant do fresh installation as latest (nightly) builds still provides kernel v 5.15.82 which is not working fine with latest AMD GPU.