11.6 upgrading help

Hi there what i would like to know how i would upgrade from 11.6 to the latest but keep my modified kernel as i dont want to update to 3.0* just update the system thanks

and will it block gnome3 but upgrade gtk and such

Hi there what i would like to know how i would upgrade from 11.6 to the latest but keep my modified kernel as i dont want to update to 3.0* just update the system thanks

There are two ways. Reset the flag “-vmlinuz” to sys-kernel/calculate-sources. In this case, will be installed only kernel source code. To do this:

echo “sys-kernel/calculate-sources -vmlinuz” >> /etc/portage/package.use/custom

The second way - to use the file /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, run:

echo sys-kernel/calculate-sources-3.0.7 >> /etc/portage/profile/package.provided

In this case, the packet will not be updated. But it must be for every kernel update, update the version in the file.

and will it block gnome3 but upgrade gtk and such

Gtk is not associated with the gnome and the third version is marked as stable. Gentoo maintainer very conservative people. I do not think that soon we are waiting for transfer to Gnome3. However, I and most of my friends are beginning to actively use CLDX with XFCE. To stay on Gnome3 subsequently have to change the binary profile in normal and update packages selectively.

Thank you very much for this info yes iam realy thinking moving to xfce… have you seen the fork of gnome called mate desktop https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=121162
these guys over at arch are doing great work lots folk say its solid wonder if any one will port it overt to gentoo

I do not think that their work is a real benefit. Gnome desktop good, but he must also evolve. For example, few managers login (xdm) meet all the requirements of a modern desktop. And we had a lot of mess to add a similar function in your script to autologin Calculate Linux 11.9.

Whatever the Gnome3, our task will make it as it stands in the Calculate Linux. Not to lose compatibility between desktops CLD/CLDG and CLDX.